In the first episode of Binging with Babish, is it possible for a turkey burger to taste better than a beef burger? Some say no, but others say...no.
- 1 small eggplant
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 large papaya
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- Saffron threads
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 squeezes of lemon
- ¼ cup black truffle oil
- 1 cup of canola oil
- 3oz fontina cheese
- 3oz parmesan cheese
- 3lb turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon of marmite
- 1 small squeeze of anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons of saflower oil
- Radish sprouts
- Gluten free brioche buns
- Silk pad
Method: Chris Traeger's East Meets West Turkey Burger
- Cut of top off of the eggplant and half lengthwise.
- Drizzle with olive oal and salt and pepper to taste.
- Score the eggplant and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes
- Peel papaya and half papaya lengthwise, spoon out the seeds and cut into 1 inch chunks
- Add papaya chunks to small saucepan with apple cider vinegar, golden raisins, salt, pepper and saffron threads. (needs cooking directions for papaya chutney)
- Combine 4 egg yolks and two squeezes of lemon in emersion blender cup
- Take black truffle oil and add to a cup of canola oil then drizzle slowly into emersion blender cup and blend until you have a thick aioli.
- Grate fontina and parmesan cheese and combine, plate in 3oz mounds on baking sheet covered with a silk pad
- Place in oven at 400 degrees for 8 minutes or until golden brown
- Cut turkey breast into one inch cubes and put in freezer with food processor blade for 15 minutes to firm.
- Add roasted eggplant and turkey chunks into food processor. Pulse until you get halfway to the consistency you want then add the soy sauce and marmite and a small squeeze of anchovy paste pulse until the mixture feel like ground turkey.
- Form ground turkey into ⅓ pound pucks and make a divot in the middle to prevent rounding, season with salt and pepper and sear for 3-5 minutes in medium-high heat pan with safflower oil
- Put a tablespoon of papaya chutney on the bottom bun topped with truffle aioli and radish sprouts.
- On top place seared turkey burger and cheese crisp to finish.
Method: Ron Swanson's Burger
- Cook the meat.
- Put it on a bun.