Did you know that Oliver Cromwell banned the eating of pie in 1644, declaring it a pagan form of pleasure? You can find this and more fun pie facts at www.piecouncil.org - or join with me in the idolatrous orgy of fall flavors that is homemade apple pie.
- 12½ ounces all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 sticks butter
- 6-8 ounces ice water
- 2½ pounds apples
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ginger
- 2 Tbsp flour
- Start with 12 ½ ounces of flour that you’re going to put into a food processor. Adding 2 Tbsp of sugar and 1 tsp of salt. Pulse to combine.
- Add 2 ½ sticks of cold cubed butter and pulse until mixture resembles wet sand. Pour mixture into a bowl.
- Measure out 6-8 ounces of ice water that you’re going to sprinkle over the top and gently fold in using a rubber spatula. Add more if necessary until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn out dough on work surface and turn into a disc. Liberally dust with flour, wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 2 hours.
- Take dough out of fridge and plastic wrap and place on the table.
- Dust it with flour and slightly pound it with rolling pin.
- Split dough into two equal pieces, and begin to gently roll out the flour as you go, rolling it out to about 4 inches wider than your pie plate.
- Use your rolling pin to lift up the dough and place it over our pie plate.
- Press down in the corners to make sure it’s all even.
- Now it’s time to start cutting your lattice. You’re going to need 10 one inch strips.
- Fill the bottom of the pie crust with your apple filling (recipe below) and press it down gently.
- Begin laying the lattice strips overtop. You want to place 5 strips across the top of your pie, lifting 2 strips at a time at a time and interleaving strips in the opposite direction.
- Trim off excess dough and tuck it underneath the edge.
- Crimp every inch of so using your fingers to give decorative flair.
- Brush down with beaten egg white and sprinkle granulated sugar overtop.
- Place on a preheated baking sheet you’ve left int a 500°F oven.
- Turn the oven down 400°F, and cook for 30-45 minutes. Once you take it out of the oven, let rest for 4 hours.
- Peel and chop 2½ pounds of good baking apples.
- Add ¾ cup of sugar and ¼ tsp each of cinnamon allspice nutmeg and ginger.
- Add 2 Tbsp of flour and give it a good mix.