The ultimate breakfast sandwich for hangovers, one-night-stands, or both. This video was made in response to a Reddit AMA question: What's your favorite breakfast sandwich?
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly ground nutmeg to taste
- 4 thin slices of rustic bread
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- Butter for toasting bread and cooking eggs
- Sliced ham
- ½ cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 2 eggs
Makes 2 sandwiches
- Start with a bechamel sauce. In a saucepan, melt butter and add flour. Whisk constantly and do not let the mixture brown. After about 2 minutes or when the mixture becomes bubbly, slowly add in milk.
- Keep whisking until thick and creamy. Season with salt, pepper, and freshly ground nutmeg. Set aside.
- Preheat broiler.
- Take rustic bread slices and brush with melted butter. In a pan with melted butter, brown the bread and pile high with ham. You should end up with two golden brown plain ham sandwiches. Place the sandwiches on a broiler pan.
- Open the sandwiches back up and place the gruyere cheese on each sandwich. Place the slice back on top of the sandwich. Top each sandwich with the bechamel sauce.
- Place the broiler pan with sandwiches into broiler. Leave to cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the bechamel sauce is browned and bubbly.
- While the sandwiches are cooking, melt butter in a pan. Crack two eggs and cook with cover. Whites should be set and the yolks should be runny. Season with salt and pepper.
- Take the sandwiches off of the broiler pan and plate. Place a fried egg on top of each one. Then, eat.