Disney films often adorn their supporting characters with lowkey foodie characteristics - Mushu's offering of congee, Timon's love of cream-filled beetles, Snow White's partiality to poison apples - but none quite so sweet and prideful and Kronk's love of spinach puffs. Celebrate the 17.75th-year anniversary of this David Spade classic with these crunchy, cheesy, buttery, spinach-y appetizers.
- 2-3 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp dill
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed
- Olive oil
- 2 eggs, separated
- 4 ounces full fat cream cheese
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 2-4 ounces parmesan, grated
- 2-3 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 packet puff pastry
- Start by rinsing all of your spinach and removing all of the stems. Next, roughly chop the spinach into small bite-sized pieces, then finely chop 3 Tbsp dill and finely mince 1 shallot.
- Heat a pan with olive oil over medium-high heat and add your finely minced shallots. Cook for about 2 minutes or until translucent and then add 3 large cloves of crushed garlic. Sauté for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the spinach and a pinch of salt and cook down before adding the 3 Tbsp of dill. Sauté before adding some fresh pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 4 ounces full fat cream cheese with ½ cup of feta cheese and 2-4 ounces of parmesan cheese. Add the cooked spinach mixture, 2 or 3 slices of finely chopped bacon, and one egg yolk. Stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Liberally flour your work surface and place your puff pastry on top of the flour. Using a rolling pin, lightly roll out to take out the creases. Cut into 3-4 inch squares and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Add about 2 Tbsp of the mixture to each square of puff pastry. Beat one egg in a separate bowl and use that to brush two edges of the puff pastry. Crimp the egg washed sides together. Do this for all of your pastries and be sure to listen to ‘80s power ballads while doing it.
- Place entire baking sheet in fridge for 10 minutes. Remove from the fridge and brush each pastry with an egg wash. Place in the oven for 20 minutes, rotating the baking sheet at 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let cool on a wire rack. Serve and enjoy!